December 21, 2007

Werewolves of Grosse Pointe

I saw a werewolf drinking a piña colada at Trader Vic's ... and his hair was perfectWarren Zevon

Remember Mitt Romney's “religious speech”? In it, he claimed to have seen his father, George Romney, march with Martin Luther King. He repeated the assertion some more last Sunday on Press the Meat, while Tim Russert was waving a pair of flip-flops at him.

Now some intrepid reporters have done a bit of digging, and it looks like it never happened.

Was it all [I have] a dream?
A spokesperson for Mitt Romney now tells the Phoenix that George W. Romney and Martin Luther King Jr. marched together in June, 1963 — although possibly not on the same day or in the same city.
Reminds me of the times I slept with Salma Hayek.

However, no problem, says Romney, “It's a figure of speech ... I saw my dad march with Martin Luther King. I did not see it with my own eyes, but I saw him in the sense of being aware of his participation in that great effort.”

And: "You know, I'm an English literature major as well. When we say, 'I saw the Patriots win the World Series,' it doesn't necessarily mean you were there — excuse me, the Super Bowl. I saw my dad become president of American Motors. Did that mean you were there for the ceremony? No, it's a figure of speech."



... but his hair was perfect.

6 comments:

grumps said...

Andrew Sullivan says "It gets better."

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2007/12/it-gets-better.html

illusory tenant said...

Linky fix.

Other Side said...

Liar.

illusory tenant said...

"When a man says: 'I saw,' you should know it's just an expression. For 'I didn't see.'"

Chris Kelly

capper said...

Reminds me of the times I slept with Salma Hayek.

That tramp stepped out on me again?!?! That's it. I'm breaking up with her once and for all!

AutismNewsBeat said...

Now it turns out that MLK did march in Detroit, and Gov. George Romney marched with him. Which leaves the question: Why did Mitt say his father never marched with MLK, when he actually did?