September 17, 2008

No Eucharist for you

Conservative Republican law professor Douglas Kmiec, on being publicly snubbed by his own Church for the grievous sin of expressing support for Barack Obama:
Right there in that moment every Catholic good deed and good thought and good wish of love of neighbor that I once had seemed inconsequential and insufficient. Like a child feeling unfairly disciplined, but disciplined nonetheless, I pleaded with empty hand outstretched: "I think you're making a mistake, Father." His red complexion redder now, betraying righteous anger. His stretched hand over the top of the Ciborium, the container for the consecrated bread as if I was going to grab a handful and make a run for it, and then the pronouncement: "No, you are the one who made the mistake."
The Day I Was Denied Communion.

See also Emily Mills's tale of the Verona, WI music director fired from the Catholic Church simply because he happens to be gay.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Wow, that is an excellent story (and I'm curious about the book, now, too). Thanks for sharing the link.

Now if only we could get someone like Morlino to read it and take it to heart....